This 1973 Mercedes-Benz 280SE 4.5 was originally sold in California and relocated to Florida when it was acquired by the current owner in April 2016. Finished in Dark Blue (904) over a Blue MB-Tex (135) interior, power comes from a 4.5-liter M117 V8 paired to a three-speed automatic transmission. Features for this example include original air conditioning, power windows, an original Becker Europa AM/FM receiver, and custom-ordered navy and tan Cocomats for the footwells. Services under the current owner's tenure have been performed by Pierre Hedary and includes significant maintenance between 2017-2023 with a comprehensive list below. The odometer currently reads 39k and is being sold as true mileage unknown due to rollover. This 1973 280SE 4.5 formerly received a Silver Star Preservation award and is now offered by the seller with original manufacturer's literature, the original tool roll, partial service records and a clean Florida title.
The car is finished in Dark Blue (904) and features original brightwork including front and rear bumpers, grille, and window trim. The car is believed to have undergone a full repaint under prior ownership. Minor rust spots in the lower wheel wells are noted by the seller and shown in the gallery below.
Steel 14″ wheels with Dark Blue painted hubcaps are mounted with 195/70 Michelin Defender tires showing 2018 date codes. The front brake pads were replaced in 2019 and the rear control arm bushings and lower springs pads were replaced in 2023.
The cabin is trimmed in Blue MB-Tex (135) across the seats, door cards, head rests, center console, and dashboard. Custom ordered Cocomats in navy and tan have been installed in the front footwells. Cabin features include chrome-trimmed gauges and controls, functioning air conditioning which has been converted to R134, a Becker Europa AM/FM receiver (noted as inoperable), power windows, and front head restraints. The seller notes the heater fan is currently inoperative and some cracks can be seen along the top of the door cards.
The two-spoke steering wheel fronts a dashboard with wood trim and blue dash cover. VDO instrumentation includes a 160-mph speedometer, a combination gauge, and an operational clock. The five-digit odometer shows 39k miles which has previously rolled over.
The 4.5-liter M117 V8 was factory-rated for 230 horsepower and 278 lb-ft of torque. Power is sent to the rear wheels via a 3-speed automatic transmission. Services under the current owner's tenure have been performed by Pierre Hedary and are listed out below.
- Replaced radiator with new core
- Replaced generator
- Ignition Distributor adjustment (2016)
- Replaced MAP sensor (2016)
- New fuel pressure regulator (2016)
- New spark plugs (2017)
- New fuel hoses (2017)
- Replaced ignition harness with repaired unit (2017)
- New fuel vapor tank (2017)
- Replaced air filter (2017)
- New subframe and engine mounts (2017)
- New sway bar hardware and bushings (2017)
- New genuine steering coupler (2017)
- All new Michelin tires installed (2018)
- Drive shaft removed for balancing (2018)
- Rear differential serviced (2019)
- Front brake pads replaced (2019)
- Transmission oil replaced (2019)
- Valve adjustments (2017 and 2022)
- Grease suspension components, driveshaft and rear axle (2022)
- Repaired fuel sender (2022)
- Alignment (2018 and 2023)
- New rear control arm bushings and lower springs pads (2023)
- All new fuel injectors with rubber hoses and clamps (2023)
This 1973 280SE 4.5 is offered by the seller in Jacksonville, Florida with manufacturer's literature, the original tool roll, partial service records and a clean Florida title.
Video clips below show driving clips, door actuators working, and the AC working.
The winning bidder will receive an email with the quote and option to proceed with shipping.
Get the best of The MB Market directly in your inbox every day. Subscribe for a curated list of our top market listings and articles!